I. In 2000, with the approval of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China, the Ministry of Construction (MOC)of the People’s Republic of China together with the Architectural Society of China established Liang Sicheng Architecture Prize in order to stimulate the architects’ creative spirit, prosper architectural creation, and to improve the levels of architectural design and urban-rural development. Named after Liang Sicheng, renowned architect and educator of Modern China, the prize honors and rewards architects who have made significant contributions and outstanding achievements in architectural creation. In 2014, the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development (MOHURD) handed over the sponsorship of Liang Sicheng Architecture Prize to the Architectural Society of China. Since 2016, with the support from the International Union of Architects (UIA), Liang Sicheng Architecture Prizeis open to the world.
II. Liang Sicheng Architecture Prize isorganized by the Architectural Society of China, open to the world and aims to lead international architectural design and academic development. It is the highest honor awarded to architects and architectural scholars. The prize is given biennially to two winners. The winners receive a certificate and a medal from the Architectural Society of China, together with a prize of RMB 100,000presented by the Liang Sicheng Fund.
III. Candidates for Liang Sicheng Architecture Prize are expected to meet the following criteria:
1. They are committed to promoting the inheritance and innovation of architectural culture, and have important impact on the development of architectural culture;
2. Their works of architectural design are widely accepted by international architectural professionals, and have good social, economic and environmental benefits;
3. Their academic achievements have made outstanding contributions to architectural studies and architectural education.
IV. Nominations for the winnerscombine individual nominations and recommendationsfrom the Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee votes to determine the shortlisted candidates. The Jury thenselects the winners. The selection procedure is detailed as follows:
1. In April of the selection year, the information will be published as regards nomination acceptance on the official website of the Architectural Society of China and related media.Internationally, any person active in the field of architecture (except those who serve on current Nominating Committee and jury) may becomea nominee, as long as that person meets the criteria stated in Term III of the Selection Methods.
2. The Nominating Committee of Liang Sicheng Architecture Prizewill make recommendations of architectsand architectural scholars who are not nominated however meet the criteria of Term III;the Nominating Committeethen vote on all the recommendednominees;the ones who receive recognition of at least one half of the Nominating Committee members will be into the shortlist as the candidates.
3. TheArchitectural Society of China will notify the candidatesin the shortlist to submit a set of materials including personal profile anddesign works to the Jury (see Selection Rules for specific contents).
4. The Architectural Society of China organizes the Jury meeting to undertake overall deliberate evaluationson the shortlisted candidates. The Jury votes by secret ballot by several rounds; each round of the vote eliminates half of the remaining candidates until the winner list is generated and the two winners are selected.
5. Candidates who do not win the prize may retain their candidacy in the next award edition. Nominations for Liang Sicheng Architecture Prize can be carried over for no more than three editions; those who fail to win the Prize after three consecutive editions can be re-nominated after an interval of two editions.
V. Nominating Committee and Jury Compositions
The Nominating Committee of Liang Sicheng Architecture Prize is constituted of9 to 13 renowned experts invited by the Architectural Society of China in the field of architecture. The Committee should be widely representative as well as reflective of certain regional character. Members of the Nominating Committee are not eligible to be nominated for the prize.
The Jury of Liang Sicheng Architecture Prize is constituted of9 to 13 renowned experts in the field of architecture and related professions who agree with the core value of the Prize, including arepresentative from of the International Union of Architects. Former laureates shall beinvited to serve on the next Jury, so as to better carry on the core value conveyed by the prize. Those who are nominated by the Nominating Committee as a candidate are not eligible to enter the current jury.
VI. The evaluationadheres to the principlesof publicity, impartiality and equity, insisting to fulfill its high standards and strict requirements. Once the winners are selected and confirmed, the result is published within onemonth after the selection.
VII. The winners of the Liang Sicheng Architecture Prize own the copyrights of the materials of their works. The Architectural Society of China has the right to freely use the materials for the publication of the prize books, and for the prize promotions and marketingin media and internet.
VIII. The award ceremony of Liang Sicheng Architecture Prize is held in next year following the selection, at the annual convention of the Architectural Society of China or other major events.
IX. The Architectural Society of China is responsible for the interpretation of the Selection Methods.
X. The Selection Methods is effective as of 1stJanuary 2016.